ADSM-L

DB2 and TSM backups

2005-01-05 20:00:45
Subject: DB2 and TSM backups
From: "John E. Vincent" <adsm-l-alias AT CLACORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 19:45:24 -0500
Hi all,

I have a question about DB2 and TSM backups. We've settled on a policy
that we would like ti implement but I'm having a hell of a time figuring
out how to actual do it. I know that TSM handles API backups from DB2
differently and I'm looking for tips on the best way to automate this
process.

We currently have a maintenance window that gives us enough breathing
room to do full offline backups. We would like to implement the following:

Monthly full backups for one year
Two years of annual backups
14 days of daily backups

I think we're okay with log files (even though we're doing offline
backups, we currently keeping those until we settle into a verified
policy. They don't take much space anyway) since TSM treats those as
archives and not backups.

The questions comes with the database backups. I don't want TSM to
expire any monthly backups that may be sitting out there when it runs
expire inventory. Is there a way to generate an archive of a specific
database backup from TSM or does it have to be done with db2adutl and a
bit of scripting so as to make sure I don't delete the month end and
annual backups? I'm also curious about how to configure the management
class for this. We really enjoy backing up straight to TSM as it makes
cross node recovery each night on our QA box a snap to script.

Sadly enough none of our DBAs are as well versed in TSM and the TSM
admin role is owned by myself and the SAs who work under me.

Thanks in advance!

John E. Vincent