ADSM-L

Re: What does it backup?

2005-01-05 08:11:10
Subject: Re: What does it backup?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:10:17 -0500
On Jan 5, 2005, at 7:53 AM, Rick Harderwijk wrote:

I was just checking my activity log on my TSM 4.2 server and noticed
something odd. One of the clients (W2K server with Oracle + an
imagebank) did a backup of 2588 files, amounting to almost 9Gb.

I know not that many data modifies in a single day so I checked to be
sure, and indeed: only 707 files (393Mb) were modified. My next guess
was that, for some reason, the Oracle datafiles or backuplogs where
backed up (normal Oracle backup runs through TDP as a seperate job)
but when I did a point-in-time check, no oracle datafiles were found -
and there shouldn't be, as they are excluded from regular backup in
dsm.opt.

Can anyone tell me how I can check what files it actually did backup?
I really want to know what that data is...

Rick -
The client backup log is the only place this info exists in readily
reviewable form. You could do  a Select on the Backups table, but that
can be very expensive. The standard "trick": if using collocation, you
can do a Query Content on the volume you know that the data ended up
on.
But, again, the client backup log is your best source of info, as it
will show details and reasons (Retries, Updating, etc.). And the client
administrator should have a handle on what has been going on in that
system recently.

    Richard Sims