ADSM-L

Re: Tape Recovery Questions

2004-12-28 08:46:01
Subject: Re: Tape Recovery Questions
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:45:25 -0500
>Now, my question is how to recover from this.  I have tried to identify
>what was on the tapes so that I may recover it from other tape pools, or
>maybe discard it if not necessary to rebuild it.  However, the tapes are
>not assigned to any storage pools so the "query volume" and "query
>content" commands are not working.
>
>Any suggestions on what to do next to identify what is on the tapes?

Christopher - Review your Activity Log.  It would seem that the involved
              tapes had been mounted from the Scratch pool, and that the
client-server transaction involved at the time of session interruption
had not completed; and so no data was committed to the tapes.
The crux of the matter is that if the volumes are not in a storage pool,
then TSM believes there is no data on them, and nothing you can do will
make available any partial data which had been in progress at the time.

   Richard Sims