ADSM-L

Re: Load tapes in "unavailable" storage pool?

2004-12-22 11:12:37
Subject: Re: Load tapes in "unavailable" storage pool?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:12:23 -0700
Hi Tab,

If you review the TSM Administrator's Guide, you'll see in the chapter
that talks about "Managing Storage Pools and Volumes" the following
description for storage pool access modes:

"User operations cannot get access to volumes in the storage pool. No new
writes are permitted to volumes in the storage pool from other volumes
outside the storage pool. However, system processes (like reclamation) are
permitted to move files within the volumes in the storage pool."

If you want to prevent access to any volumes in this pool, even for
reclamation, then you might be able to use something like this:

   update volume * access=unavailable wherestgpool=migrpool

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 12/22/2004
08:02:22:

> TSM Server 5.1.9.0 on AIX 5.2
>
> I am running copypool reclamation.  Some of my primary tapes are stored
on
> the shelf with access = unavailable.  Because there are large files that
> span tapes, I'm seeing where TSM is loading the first tape of the set,
> reaching its end, finding the second tape unavailable, and aborting
> reclamation; only to repeat the entire process a minute later and never
> moving past.
>
> In an attempt to control that behavior, I set the entire primary storage
> pool to access = unavailable.  Yet when copypool reclamation restarted,
it
> again loaded the first tape of that set and repeated the process I cited
> earlier.
>
> How is that possible?  I thought the whole point of setting access =
> unavailable was to tell TSM to not even TRY to use that storage pool.
Here