ADSM-L

FYI - 4GB file limit on Netware 6.5sp2

2004-12-13 11:14:10
Subject: FYI - 4GB file limit on Netware 6.5sp2
From: Joe Crnjanski <JCrnjanski AT INFINITYNETWORK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:12:58 -0500

Got response today from TSM support regarding 4GB file size limit.
Problem that we observed with backupset files greater than 4GB.

Thought I can share it

Hi Joe,

get response from our development:

This apar is to address the fact that  the TSM client code:
a) is not able to backup files larger that 4Gb in size
b) does not report any errors when it encounters a file larger than 4Gb.
It simply stops sending data after the boundary is hit.
c) cannot properly display filesizes larger than 4Gb

TSM Versions Affected: Problem was reported on TSM Netware Client
5.2.3.0, running on Netware 6.5, SP2 and TSAFS.NLM, v6.50.09,

this APAR will be sent out today.

for now, you may have to limited the file devclass's maxcapacity <4GB

Thanks for observation , and providing the detail logs, I'll close this
pmr for now, will notify you whence the new release available

TSM/TDP L2 Support

Joe Crnjanski - Partner

Infinity Network Solutions Inc.

Phone: 416-235-0931 x26

Fax:     416-235-0265

Web: www.infinitynetwork.com

  _____

This apar is to address the fact that  the TSM client code:
a) is not able to backup files larger that 4Gb in size
b) does not report any errors when it encounters a file larger than 4Gb.
It simply stops sending data after the boundary is hit.
c) cannot properly display filesizes larger than 4Gb

TSM Versions Affected: Problem was reported on TSM Netware Client
5.2.0.3, running on Netware 6.5, SP2 and TSAFS.NLM, v6.50.09,

this APAR will be sent out today.

for now, you may have to limited the file devclass's maxcapacity <4GB

Thanks for observation , and providing the detail logs, I'll close this
pmr for now, will notify you whence the new release available.

Hellen Jin
TSM/TDP L2 Support
(905) 316-5497
jin AT ca.ibm DOT com

Visit our new IBM Tivoli Storage Manager support page:
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageM
anager.html

Expand IBM Tivoli product knowledge through our Support Technical
Exchange.
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/supp_tech_exch.ht
ml