ADSM-L

Re: two management classes for the same client

2004-12-10 11:53:39
Subject: Re: two management classes for the same client
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:53:10 -0700
You're welcome, Alex.

I will give you the same advice that I would give to any TSM user: if you
have not already done so, reading the Admin Guide from cover to cover is
the best way to become acquainted with TSM, what it can do, and how it
works. Granted, the book is at least 3 times as large as it was when I was
a TSM (then ADSM) customer reading the V1 and V2 books 10 years ago....
but it is still worth doing. Will also help if you suffer from insomnia.
:-)

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 12/10/2004
09:47:44:

> Thanks for the clarification Andy. I have never taken the time to clear
up
> my confusion about sets/classes, but this task is forcing me to do so,
> with your kind help of course.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alex
>
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Andrew Raibeck wrote:
>
> > Good question.
> >
> > I think your concerns are based on a confusion of the term "policy
set". A
> > policy set is NOT the same as a management class; rather, it is the
parent
> > container for your management classes. So it is true that a client
cannot
> > be managed by two policy sets at the same time; but a client can use
> > multiple management classes within its policy set, just as you have
> > described.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Andy
> >
> > Andy Raibeck
> > IBM Software Group
> > Tivoli Storage Manager Client Development
> > Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Tucson/IBM@IBMUS
> > Internet e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
> >
> > The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked.
> > The command line is your friend.
> > "Good enough" is the enemy of excellence.
> >
> > "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 12/10/2004
> > 07:54:44:
> >
> >> TSM 5.1.9.0 on win2K server.
> >>
> >> We have a TSM client, RHEL3-AS, which currently backs up to our
custom
> >> made "server-management-class". All is fine with that. However, we
want
> >> backup a specific directory on the same client to a different
mangement
> >> class. The directory is /var/spool/mail/*. We want completely
different
> >> policy set for that directory, so that retention, number of modified
> >> files, are all different than the normal policy set for that client.
> >>
> >> After reading the manual a bit, I gather the best way to do this is
by:

> >> 1) Make a new management class on the TSM server, one that contains
the
> >> correct policy set I want. Call the class "mail-spool-class", or
> >> something.
> >>
> >> 2) On the RHEL3-AS client, modify the include-exclude file in the
> >> following way:
> >>
> >> include /var/spool/mail/* mailspoolclass
> >>
> >> Therefor, all the files in /var/spool/mail will be associated with a
> >> different policy, whereas all other files will stay with the normal
> > server
> >> policy we already have.
> >>
> >> Does this work? This seems to go against what I've always heard,
which
> > is
> >> that ONE client cannot backup to two different policy sets.
> >>
> >> The other alternative is to create a new
/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin
> >> directory on the client, with a totally diffferent dsm.sys file, with
> >> totally different name for the NODE, and run cron job dsmc incr
backups
> > of
> >> /var/spool/mail/* as this *new* NODE. That way the TSM server thinks
> > there
> >> are two different clients, but in reality, it is only one.
> >>
> >> Can anyone recommend which way is better? Or is there even a better
way
> >> do what we need?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >>
> >> Alex
> >>     Alex Lazarevich | Systems Administrator | Imaging Technology
Group