ADSM-L

Re: MOVE DATA wants some other tapes

2004-12-10 10:09:09
Subject: Re: MOVE DATA wants some other tapes
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:09:01 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Tuncel Mutlu (B.T.B.S.V.Y.G.)
>I have a question about how MOVE DATA works. On a remote
>location (which I manage from the net) I have to empty tapes,
>because I don't have enought scratch tapes. I move data from
>000001 (STKL40COPYPOOL) to the STKL40COPYPOOL (the same
>copypool) and the data must go to the FILLING tape of the pool
>- 000055.
>
>But TSM asks first the 000017 tape for a 3 min and shows it as
>the input tape (from query procedure) and 000055 as output
>tape. After that dismounts 000017 and mounts 000001 and begins
>to move the data.
>
>The command I see from actlog (I use the Web interface) is
>
>MOVE DATA 000001 STGPOOL=STKL40COPYPOOL WAIT=NO RECONSTRUCT=NO
>
>So why did it ask 000017 ? I have some of the tapes (from the
>copypool) out of the library and sometimes the MOVE DATA
>procedure hits a tape which is out, I am not there to put the
>tape inside and I have to cancel. How can I understand if the
>tape to move will ask for another tape and which tape it will ask ?

This is because there is a file that began to be written on 000017.
Part-way through the write, the end of tape 000017 was met. The tape was
dismounted, and tape 000001 was mounted to finish writing the file.

When you perform MOVE DATA 000001, the move process tries to keep any
given file on one tape. Therefore it moves all of the file, including
the part residing on 000017.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627