ADSM-L

Re: Management Class Retention Question

2004-12-07 10:53:15
Subject: Re: Management Class Retention Question
From: "Ochs, Duane" <Duane.Ochs AT QG DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:53:02 -0600
If you are looking to imitate what Netbackup does within the parameters
of TSM you can use archiving. Daily incremental backups are performed
retaining 8 versions. Perform weekly archives that are retained for 13
months and finally perform a year end archive that is retain
indefinitley. Sure you will not have a copy of every file that made it
overnight for the last six months, but you will be very close. And if
you are using archiving for business related retention requirements, you
are covered legally. Another alternative is to evaluate groups of users
and categorize them according to their usage requirements. For instance,
we retain accounting personnel's personal home drives longer than
manufacturing users. We retain more verions of CAD operators home drives
than develpoment. Programmers and developers have been required to
submit all source to source safe and only develop on specfic servers.
Prevents source from being lost due to inadequate retention on user home
drives...

 We started the same way. Tried to mimic what we were accustom to (son,
father, grandfather) with something that doesn't work the same way
(TSM). For 1 year we ran much the same way you are. When all three of
our L700 jukeboxes were at 95% capacity it was time to do something. I
reviewed our restore requests and then worked with all departments to
define their specific requirements, we were able to reduce our overall
backup data by 85% in the first 18 months. With diligence we have been
able to maintain an active list of all major departments and their
business requirements.

>From what I have been through, it was nearly impossible to get managers
to agree to backing up less. Until you put a dollar amount to it. Every
manager loves to be associated with saving money.

Good luck,

Duane