ADSM-L

Management Class Retention Question

2004-12-07 10:18:12
Subject: Management Class Retention Question
From: "Hart, Charles" <charles.hart AT MEDTRONIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:17:39 -0600
Don't laugh... We currently save 180 Act / Deleted / Version Exists etc of our
backup files (use to be 400).  Anyways in our Netbackup Env we do weekly fulls
retained for 13months and an annual full with permanent retention.  I would
like to get our TSM ennv closer to our Netbackup retention as we have 150+ GB
TSM DB's.  Needless to say we could save on TSM DB and tape.  We aloe have a
Company Retention policy in place that dictates specific retentions, which we
accommodate with Archives.

Essentially we would like to retain a bit more than our Netbackup Env, because
if you had recover a file more than a year old you could only get one version
(Ie no point in time).  Is there a good middle of the road basic retention?  I
have searched adsm etc but haven't really found anything. We know 180 visions
is insane... but 5 version would be little too loose.

Thank you again, this is the best Tech List in existence!!!!

Found a great Tivoli Field guide called "Tivoli Field Guide - Full-Incremental
Rotations Using IBM Tivoli Storage Manager"
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/Field_Guides_Technical.html

Here are some examples in the field guide....

Example 1 --- 5-Week Full-Incremental Rotation
In this case, the policy we are trying to implement in Storage Manager is one
of doing a full once a week and incremental on the other days. After 4 weeks
and 6 days, the administrator will reuse the tape on which he did his first
full backup.
Translating this rotation to Storage Manager is pretty straightforward. A
management class can be defined with the following parameters:
Versions Data Exists: Nolimit
Versions Data Deleted: Nolimit
Retain Extra Versions: 34
Retain Only Version: 34
These settings would ensure that inactive (old) versions of files are kept for
34 days before they are discarded by the Storage Manager Server.

Example 2 --- 5-Week Full-Incremental Rotation with Extra Weekly Full Taken
Off-Site
In this case, the desired policy to be implemented in Storage Manager is one of
doing a full twice a week and incremental on six days. One full is taken
off-site for disaster recovery purposes. This means that after 4 weeks and 6
days, the administrator will reuse the tape on which he or she did his first
full backup. And after the same amount of time, he or she will recycle the
oldest off-site full.
Translating this rotation to Storage Manager is pretty straightforward. A
management class can be defined with the following parameters:
Versions Data Exists: Nolimit
Versions Data Deleted: Nolimit 6
Retain Extra Versions: 34
Retain Only Version: 34
These settings would ensure that inactive (old) versions of files are kept for
34 days before they are discarded by the Storage Manager Server. The off-site
requirements are handled with a copy storage pool and the Storage Manager
Disaster Recovery Manager. A copy storage pool will allow for an exact copy of
the on-site data to be taken off-site on a regular basis. There is no need to
do additional backups to get this off-site copy.
Example 3 --- 2-Week Full-Incremental Rotation Kept On-Site
5-Weekly Fulls Kept both On-Site and Off-Site
Here, the administrator is essentially using two different rotational schemes.
The two week on-site rotation will be the one that is primarily used for
recovery. As some extra "insurance", the policy calls for weekly fulls. They
would be used in the event the administrator needs to recover something older
than two weeks and in the event of a disaster recovery scenario.
The implementation of this policy in Storage Manager requires two management
classes. The first is used to accommodate the two week rotation and the second
is used to accommodate the 5 week rotation. The management classes have the
following parameters set:
Two Week Class - NODE1 Five Week Class - NODE2
Versions Data Exists: Nolimit Versions Data Exists: Nolimit
Versions Data Deleted: Nolimit Versions Data Deleted: Nolimit
Retain Extra Versions: 13 Retain Extra Versions: 34
Retain Only Version: 13 Retain Only Version: 34
Two separate Storage Manager virtual nodes are established that map to each of
the classes, although each of these Storage Manager nodes corresponds to the
same physical machine. Node1 runs its backup on a daily basis to the Two Week
Class. Node2 only runs its backup on a weekly basis and sends it to a different
storage pool than Node1. A copy storage pool is then created for the node using
the five week class and the Disaster Recover Manager is used to manage the
off-site data.