ADSM-L

Re: REAL TIME STATS

2004-12-04 11:22:55
Subject: Re: REAL TIME STATS
From: Stef Coene <stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 17:22:09 +0100
On Saturday 04 December 2004 14:33, Cain, Jason (Corporate) wrote:
> Are you running SQL statement against the DB,  what kind of data are you
> actually pulling, and from what tables.  I can get real time stats from
> sessions currently running from the sessions table, but that is as far as I
> have gotten.  We are looking for a way to get real time stats on disk
> util., and bytes backed up per 30 min for an overall TSM healthcheck.
The stats we are making is information about the storage pools (usage in MB,
usage in %, ...), number of sessions that's running (client + SAN), db and
recovery log usage (MB en %).  All this info is stored with rrd so this info
can be used for long term monitoring.
And we do this each 5 minutes, not 15 like I said before.

The tables we use depends on what you want to check.  But with information
found with the "select * from tables "and some sql knowledge, you can do a
lot.

For real time monitoring, we have some havy sql statements to view the running
sessions and processes.  We also query and show information about processes
that have run (so you can see when a migration kicked in at night).  This
information is not stored wih rrd.

Example of showing running sessions:
select client_name,BYTES_RECEIVED,BYTES_SENT, cast(bytes_received as
decimal(30,0))/cast((current_timestamp-start_time)seconds as decimal(30,0))
as BYTES_REC_PER_SEC, cast(bytes_sent as
decimal(30,0)) /cast((current_timestamp-start_time)seconds as decimal(30,0))
as BYTES_SENT_PER_SEC, cast((current_timestamp-start_time) as varchar(18)) as
elapsed,SESSION_TYPE,CLIENT_PLATFORM from sessions where current_timestamp !=
start_time and SESSION_TYPE != 'Server'

One problem is that all these selects statements show up in the activity log.
So it can be dificult to use the activity log to find out what happened on
the server.

Btw, all these scripts are only available to our customers :(
If you are interested in these scripts and/or want to see a demo, you can mail
me in private.  If there is enough interest, I can, maybe, release the
scripts.

Stef

--
stef.coene AT docum DOT org