ADSM-L

Re: tsm client for netware and netware file compression

2004-11-30 13:49:55
Subject: Re: tsm client for netware and netware file compression
From: Steve Bennett <steve_bennett AT ADMIN.STATE.AK DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:49:46 -0900
Mark,

First, let me say I don't do netware. My netware admins indicate that
compression happens at the file level but then maybe we're both confused.

We are going to client compression because of a few clients with network
restrictions but more because we are replacing most of our primary tape
storage with a large local sata. Client cpu is cheaper than a bigger
sata. There won't be much (if any) data in the onsite tapepool which
gets compressed by the drives.

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Steve Bennett

We are considering use of client side compression on some of
our netware tsm 5.2 clients.

Netware is set to compress files that haven't been used in 7
days. I found some doc that said even with "compress yes" the
tsm client will not compress netware compressed files before
sending. But what about when the file goes from netware
uncompressed to compressed?

For instance, I create file A on the netware box today and
during the nightly backup it gets processed. Then the file
isn't touched for 7 days so netware compresses it. Does the
tsm client then backup the file again because it changed?

I'm confused about something. If memory serves, NetWare compression
doesn't actually compress individual files; my understanding is that it
compresses the entire volume structure. (This was the reason that you
couldn't restore compressed NetWare files to an uncompressed volume, and
vice versa.)

Or are you running a utility that compresses a single file at a time?

(Why do you want to run client compression in the first place?
Constricted network bandwidth?)

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627

--

Steve Bennett, (907) 465-5783
State of Alaska, Enterprise Technology Services, Technical Services Section