ADSM-L

Re: Remote Backups....

2004-11-25 10:00:36
Subject: Re: Remote Backups....
From: David McClelland <David.McClelland AT REUTERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:24:40 +0000
Monte,

I echo everything that Juraj and Joe suggest, stressing the importance of
nailing down your customers'/business' recovery requirements, and then
designing a backup solution around those, rather than the other way around.

I trust that when you say 'NT' servers, you mean Win2K and above, otherwise TSM
Journalling Engine isn't going to work for you. In the event of a 'disaster,
would you really be required to restore *all* of the data, or would the server
be rebuilt from the OS/image upwards, and only key data need to be recovered. I
commonly ask the question 'do we really need to have 1000's versions of
notepad.exe in our TSM server'. Look at the main recovery scenarios that you
are putting in a backup solution for: single file corruption/deletion should be
possible in a short amount of time. Directory deletion again should be fine for
any moderately sized directories. Otherwise, just work out the maths and ask
the business if they can wait x hours for a full 40GB restore. Assuming 33%
compression and a real-life average of just above 15KB/s (might be more if
you're lucky) over your 256Kb line, you're looking at a maximum of 80MB/hour
restore rate. If your 40GB server happens to be at the end of this one, you
have a little over 20 days to get back your 40GB! Or perhaps my maths is a
little skewed here...

Rgds,

David McClelland
Tivoli Storage Manager Certified Consultant
Operations Backup and Recovery Projects
Shared Infrastructure Development
Reuters
85 Fleet Street