ADSM-L

Why is %Migr higher than %Util?

2004-11-24 06:52:04
Subject: Why is %Migr higher than %Util?
From: Steve Schaub <Steve.Schaub AT HAWORTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 06:51:46 -0500
Just to satisfy my curiosity, can someone explain why my file-class disk
pools show a higher percent migratable than utilized?  How would TSM
migrate more data than exists in a given pool?  And which one is used to
trigger migration?  Inquiring minds want to know...

Storage Po    Device Cl     Estimated    Pct     Pct    High   Low
Next Stora
ool Name      lass Name    d Capacity    Util    Migr    Mig   Mig   age
Pool
                                 (MB)                    g P   Pct
                                                         Pct
-----------   ----------   ----------   -----   -----   ----   ---
-----------
DR_FILE1      TSMFILE03         891 G    88.6    90.1     95    70
DR_TAPE
ORALOG_FIL    TSMFILE01         452 G     1.8     4.1     90    70
ORALOG_TAP
 LE1_DR
PE_DR
ORALOG_FIL    TSMFILE01         452 G     8.0    10.2     90    70
ORALOG_TAP
 LE1_STD
PE_STD
STD_FILE1     TSMFILE02         891 G    81.7    84.9     95    70
STD_FILE2
STD_FILE2     TSMFILE04         891 G    42.7    46.0     95    70
STD_TAPE

Steve Schaub
Computer Storage Systems Engineer II
Haworth, Inc
616-393-1457 (desk)
616-886-8821 (cell)
Steve.Schaub AT Haworth DOT com
"Trials are inevitable.  We can curse them and grow bitter, or harvest
them and grow stronger"