ADSM-L

Re: Oracle TDP and RMAN

2004-11-22 16:37:46
Subject: Re: Oracle TDP and RMAN
From: "William F. Colwell" <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:28:36 -0500
Charles,

In addition to all the other good answers to this post, you can add this to
your argument
with the dba's.  TSM is NOT a tape management system in the classic sense of
that type of
product.  Classic tape management systems returns a tape to scratch after some
policy driven number
of days.  TSM only returns a tape to scratch when it is logically empty.

The rman page 85 note simply doesn't apply to TSM.

Hope this helps,

Bill Colwell

At 05:02 PM 11/19/2004, you wrote:
>In working with our Oracle DBA's they feel TSM< should manage the RMAN Oracle
>Retentions etc...   Is there a "Preferred method?"  If so why?
>

>Here's one of our DBA's response when I told them my understanding is that
>RMAN usually manages the Backup Retentions etc....
>
>"Note on page 85 of the RMAN Backup and Recovery Handbook it says:
>
>"If you are using a tape management system, it may have its own retention
>policy.  If the tape management system's retention policy is in conflict with
>the backup retention policy you have defined in RMAN, the tape management
>system's retention policy will take precedence and your ability to recovery a
>backup will be in jeopardy."
>
>That is why I was leaving it up to the Tivoli retention policy to be used
>instead of RMAN retention policies. This seems to be in conflict with the
>comment about TSM having a "dumb repository".
>

>Thanks for you thoughts...
>
>Regards,
>
>Charles

Bill Colwell