ADSM-L

Re: Move data & Relaimation

2004-11-22 07:20:48
Subject: Re: Move data & Relaimation
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 07:19:08 -0500
On Nov 22, 2004, at 2:45 AM, Robert Ouzen wrote:

Hi to all

Can anybody tell me the difference between move data and reclaimation.
When I run reclaimation on a cartridge with bad files is sometimes
stuck and I have to cancel the process after a long time , but when I
run  a move data on the same cartridge is sometimes succeed to move
the correct files without any problem .

T.I.A  Regards
Robert Ouzen
E-mail:  rouzen AT univ.haifa.ac DOT il

Distinctions are summarized in http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts
.
But what type of Move Data were you doing: RECONStruct = Yes or No?
The processing is somewhat different.
Note also that the act of unspooling the tape can, by itself, make a
difference (hence the historical Retension operation for tapes); and
passing the tape over the read-write head can help to clean and smooth
it such that the second pass can yield better results.  The nature of
tape.  We don't know what kind of tape technology is involved in your
question, but if drive cleaning is part of its regimen, make sure that
is happening.

    Richard Sims