ADSM-L

Re: TSM client for Solaris x86

2004-11-20 05:13:14
Subject: Re: TSM client for Solaris x86
From: "Andreas Almroth [ MTNCameroon O&M - DMSC ]" <Almrot_A AT MTNCAMEROON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 11:11:07 +0100
> Has anyone heard if there are plans to release a TSM 5.x client for
> Solaris x86 to complement the SPARC version?  If so, when might that
> occur?

I haven't heard anything, but if enough of us are requesting it, perhaps IBM
will consider it. Especially now when Sun and Oracle are releasing Solaris 10
and Oracle 10g on x86. We are considering the new server line in order to cut
the price. But if we can't make RMAN backups, well, then...

> I've heard Sun say that many developers can take their SPARC source
> code (except perhaps device drivers) and compile a working Solaris
> app on Intel/AMD.  I'm hoping that's true for a Solaris x86 TSM
> client.

This is true. Most of the code can easily be compiled on both platforms. The
usual gotchas apply though, like endianess, 64 or 32 bit... The qualitfy of the
code design matters.
Device drivers are a bit more tricky, but not at all impossible. The system
interfaces are pretty much the same.

/Andreas