ADSM-L

TSM server start-up under Linux

2004-11-19 16:09:33
Subject: TSM server start-up under Linux
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:00:44 -0500
We have installed a TSM 5.2.2 server under Suse Enterprise Server 8
running on zSeries hardware. The TSM code includes a script named
dsmserv.rc which accepts 'start' and 'stop' as arguments in the same
way as scripts Suse supplies to control built-in services. The dsmserv.rc
script does not include the comments insserv uses to determine the
order of execution of start-up and shut-down scripts. We would need to
have the DSMSERV_ACCOUNTING_DIR environment variable set before
dsmserv.rc executed dsmserv (the executable for the TSM server). We
also have a home-grown automation script for the TSM server that we
want started when Linux comes up. What is the best way to arrange for
all of this with minimal risk of breakage from future software
maintenance?