ADSM-L

Re: select from actlog VS query actlog performance

2004-11-19 11:08:52
Subject: Re: select from actlog VS query actlog performance
From: P Baines <paul.baines AT ECB DOT INT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:08:25 +0100
Rather the other way round. The SQL is being converted to a native
database call. I would presume most query commands would be quicker than
their equivalent "SQL" queries.

For tuning SQL queries you can look at the indexing of the columns in a
table:

select tabname, colname, colno, index_keyseq, index_order from columns
where tabname='ACTLOG'

TABNAME              COLNAME               COLNO   INDEX_KEYSEQ
INDEX_ORDER
------------------   ------------------   ------   ------------
-----------
ACTLOG               DATE_TIME                 1              1   A

ACTLOG               MSGNO                     2

ACTLOG               SEVERITY                  3

ACTLOG               MESSAGE                   4

ACTLOG               ORIGINATOR                5

ACTLOG               NODENAME                  6

ACTLOG               OWNERNAME                 7

ACTLOG               SCHEDNAME                 8

ACTLOG               DOMAINNAME                9

ACTLOG               SESSID                   10

ACTLOG               SERVERNAME               11

Here you can see it is only indexed on DATE_TIME. Other tables have more
indexed columns. Running functions on where clause columns may well
cause the query to do a full table scan anyway (not using the index.)
but that's just a guess.

(I notice that you are using process=1234 in your where clause, so maybe
you have a later release of TSM, I'm on 5.1 and don't have that column!)

Remember as well that SQL queries use the free space in your database,
so make sure you have plenty if you're doing big queries.

Paul.