ADSM-L

NDMP Backup Experiences

2004-11-19 10:52:34
Subject: NDMP Backup Experiences
From: Curtis Stewart <Curtis.Stewart AT LAWSON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:52:14 -0600
Everyone,

I'm about to implement NDMP backups of our NetApp filer and am looking for
tips, gotchas etc...

Currently, we backup the filer using CIFS and a mount point on a Windows
2000 server. The performance of this method is painfully slow. It takes
about 22 hours to complete an incremental backup of the 3.5 million file
system over a 100MB full duplex network. We're hoping the backup and
restore performance will improve significantly with NDMP. I've read
through the Admin Guide a few times and our setup will indeed support NDMP
operations.

I plan to use the TSM server to run the library, and share it between the
NAS and regular TSM operations. The library is a STK L700 with LTO Gen2
Fibre Channel drives (8 of them). Overall the setup directions seem fairly
straight forward. Here are my questions.

1. Am I being overly optimistic? It doesn't seem like it will be that big
a deal.
2. Can I expect a significant backup and restore performance improvement
using NDMP?

Thanks in advance,

Curtis

curtis.stewart AT lawson DOT com