ADSM-L

Re: Question about LTO2 tape error

2004-11-18 11:50:02
Subject: Re: Question about LTO2 tape error
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:50:10 -0500
If this is IBM, then look at the boxes that the replacement parts come
in...usually says refurbished. I think if you don't specify you don't get
"new". I'm not even sure if you can ask for new parts.. Plus if this is a
3583...that's really an ADIC library. IBM (and Dell!) OEM this library from
ADIC.

I even had IBM replace a faulty drive with a faulty drive! One interesting
problem I've had with several IBM LTO-1/2 drives is that the drive indicates
that there's a tape in it, when there really isn't. The drive icon shows a
tape, but there ain't! So when TSM asks the library to mount a tape in the
drive, you get an I/O error and the ASC/ASCQ codes indicate the the
destination element wasn't empty. I even had this on a new drive when I
unpacked an IBM3582 library. Before I could use it, I had to call support!
Put my project behind 2-days.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.