ADSM-L

Re: CPU Utilization

2004-11-15 04:53:34
Subject: Re: CPU Utilization
From: David McClelland <David.McClelland AT REUTERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:50:08 +0000
Intel *SM users,

FYI, (and not 'on topic' strictly, but as the subject came up), anyone
running Windows 2000 or below on HyperThreading enabled processors
should, apparently, look into turning this off. Windows 2000 is not
HyperThreading aware (Windows .Net Server and 2003 are, however), in
that it does not know how to distinguish between physical and logical
processors. In this way, it does not balance jobs across physical
processors, only 'logical' ones. The worst case scenario here is where
Win2K is loading its logical processors 1 and 2 to the max, but in
reality this is only loading physical processor 1 = performance ouch.
Licensing issues abound too, particularly where an app (or OS) is based
on processor count.

>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/docs/hyperthreading.doc

Explains some of the detail, and there's lots more you'll see in a
simple Google search, (there's talk in some fora about various Linux
problems as well with certain kernel levels). I personally haven't
benchmarked it, so can't comment on any performance particulars.

Rgds,

David McClelland
Tivoli Storage Manager Certified Consultant
Operations Backup and Recovery Projects
Shared Infrastructure Development
Reuters
85 Fleet Street