ADSM-L

Re: TSM and SATA Disk Pools

2004-11-14 18:48:53
Subject: Re: TSM and SATA Disk Pools
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:48:34 -0600
Charles,

I may be missing something here, but even your numbers out of the
Symetrix seem pretty bad.  Are you sure you didn't drop a "0"
somewhere?  I have one customer that I set up using SSA drives with JFS2
filesystems and LTO1 drives and we average between 35 and 40MB/sec. and
some days as high as 45MB/sec (compression of data plays a large
factor).  Your Symetrix at 40GB/hr is only 11.11MB/sec!  BTW, this is
with no unusual tuning to the system, since this was more than enough
performance for their needs.  With a little more tuning I could easily
increase that by 50% and possibly double it if I really tried and that
is ancient SSA technology.  FC technology should be much faster.

I know there are many people who prefer raw lvs for there disk pools,
but on an AIX system I don't believe it is worth it.  I have never had
anyone show me raw lv numbers on AIX that I could not match (with far
less hassle) with a good JFS2 configuration.  If raw is the way you want
to go than I wish you luck.  However, if you are interested in switching
to using a JFS2 approach I would be glad to post to the list some simple
guidelines for configuring your environment to get much better
performance than you are reporting in your post.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

Hart, Charles wrote:

Thanks you for the link.. Good info!