ADSM-L

Re: database, scratch and failed backup

2004-11-12 08:30:00
Subject: Re: database, scratch and failed backup
From: "Warren, Matthew (Retail)" <Matthew.Warren AT POWERGEN.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:57:00 -0000
I'll give the first two a go;

1 )

Yes... as long as you have kept the client node tapes separate in a box
(This is related to Question 2 also) and they havent been used since the
database backup you will restore was taken.

2 )

Pending tapes are important. They provide the functionality of your
'box' in question 1...  When a tape 'empties' for whatever reason, it
remains in a pending state for a number of days set by the reusedelay
parm on the storage pool. This is so that should you restore a TSM
database backup, the data that backup believed was on the tapes when the
backup was taken, is still there.

IE;

You take a TSM db backup
Space reclamation occurs
You restore the TSM db backup
....because space reclamation happened, data is not where the DB backup
expects it to be.

You should set the reusedelay of your storage pools to be as long as you
retain your TSM db backups for.

Matt.