ADSM-L

database, scratch and failed backup

2004-11-11 21:25:47
Subject: database, scratch and failed backup
From: "Hashim, Shukrie BSP-ISM/116" <Shukrie.Hashim AT SHELL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:25:32 +0800
HI all,

I have 3 questions ....

1 ) If I backup the TSM database into tapes ... will the database include the
nodes that are actually ...registered during at that point in time ? so when ..
I accidentally .. deleted the client\nodes (that means all the filespace as
well) Can I restore back the database ... and get the client\nodes that are
deleted and the filespace ...? assuming that I have already seperated the
client\nodes's data tapes into a storage box ... (not in library)??

2 ) I can see when I do 'q vol stgp=pool' there's some pending tapes ... and
has 0.0 % used ... if I delete them ... they will become scratch ... well
sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't work ... why is that ... am I doing
something that is not recommendable .. ? if yes ... what is recommendable .. to
make those pending tapes as scratch ? Usually I do checkout, delete volume and
then . checkin as scratch ...

3 ) One more thing ... I have problems backing up the TSM server itself ... the
IP address is in asterisk ... it's the server that TSM is installed on ...

11/11/04 23:36:03     ANR8214E Session open with ***.***.***.*** failed due to

                       connection refusal.

Regards
Shukrie