ADSM-L

Re: Where did my scratch tapes go?

2004-11-11 03:04:31
Subject: Re: Where did my scratch tapes go?
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 02:04:12 -0600
I use _very simple_ SQL Select statements invoked from dsmadmc -comma to
produce comma delimited output which is easily read by SPSS, which is
where I do the real trending, analysis, and reporting.

SPSS has no trouble at all doing things like matching up different
tables. For instance, matching entries in the VolHist file with the list
of Volumes and Libvols, so that when tapes disappear, I can find them
easily. (e.g. It's a Private libvol, but it's neither a Volume nor
in VolHist, nor owned by another server instance. Or if you have multiple
server instances operating out of one library, finding tapes owned by
none of the instances.)

SAS would work equally well, if you know it better. This data is easily
handled by any general-purpose statistical analysis package.