ADSM-L

Re: Upgrade of z/OS TSM server

2004-11-09 10:28:43
Subject: Re: Upgrade of z/OS TSM server
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:26:40 -0500
Thank you for the "war story".

I am one of those who has never had an UPGRADEDB go more than 20-30
minutes (if that long).  Not sure why yours went so long, but it makes me
question my idea of doing it during the day in a 1-2 hour window (my DB is
35GB with 72% utilized).

Did you do any of the pre-stuff I have seen along the way, such as CLEANUP
BACKUPGROUPS, etc ?  I have heard of folks that ran for hours because of
this cleanup !

Yes, I have installed the base 5.2.x (which came with our latest z/OS
upgrade) and just installed the PTF's for 5.2.3.0 and then 5.2.3.4,
flawlessly. I was a little suprised that neither of the 5.2.3.x installed
were HELD for the requisit "UPGRADEDB hold/notice" !  I did not know that
the product had become smart-enough (on the z/OS platform) to tell you if
the "upgradedb" was required !  I never run from the base product
installation libraries. This way, I control what levels I am at and when I
upgrade !

Again, thanks for your experiences !

David Moore <David.Moore AT LA DOT GOV>
11/09/2004 10:02 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Upgrade of z/OS TSM server

I went from 5.1.9 to 5.2.3 in late Sept.  I'm sure you know you need to
load the new 5.2.0 base code, then apply the upgrade to take you to the
5.2.3 levels.  When you start the server on the upgraded level, my IBM
consultant told me to run without the UPGRADEDB parameter first and the
system log will tell you if you have to run the UPGRADEDB.  In my case,
the log did tell me to run the UPGRADEDB, which took quite a bit of time
(11+ hours for my 22GB database).

I will tell you that I've seen many TSM admins on this list serve say that
their upgrades were flawless and completed in the matter of 20 or 30
minutes.  I have no idea why mine was so long, but the system is running
quite well on the new level, so I am confident I have a healthy
installation.

If I were you, I'd schedule a large upgrade window and hope that I don't
need 85% of it.

Good luck.