ADSM-L

Re: Upgrade of z/OS TSM server

2004-11-09 10:03:13
Subject: Re: Upgrade of z/OS TSM server
From: David Moore <David.Moore AT LA DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:02:52 -0600
I went from 5.1.9 to 5.2.3 in late Sept.  I'm sure you know you need to load
the new 5.2.0 base code, then apply the upgrade to take you to the 5.2.3
levels.  When you start the server on the upgraded level, my IBM consultant
told me to run without the UPGRADEDB parameter first and the system log will
tell you if you have to run the UPGRADEDB.  In my case, the log did tell me to
run the UPGRADEDB, which took quite a bit of time (11+ hours for my 22GB
database).

I will tell you that I've seen many TSM admins on this list serve say that
their upgrades were flawless and completed in the matter of 20 or 30 minutes.
I have no idea why mine was so long, but the system is running quite well on
the new level, so I am confident I have a healthy installation.

If I were you, I'd schedule a large upgrade window and hope that I don't need
85% of it.

Good luck.