ADSM-L

Re: Backup options

2004-11-08 11:20:14
Subject: Re: Backup options
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 11:19:55 -0500
==> In article <OF4F01CECE.433776B6-ON85256F46.005486D5 AT papajohns DOT com>,
William Rosette <Bill_Rosette AT PAPAJOHNS DOT COM> writes:

> It is currently running at 55.945 GB per hour going to tape (1 tape drive
> (collocate)), pretty good for tape drive speed.  Disk would make the backup
> run faster with multi-streams.  Cannot go to multi-tapes due to slow
> recovery.  Other option would be to break the backup into 2 separate backups
> running simultaneously, probably nightmare admistrativewise.

Say more about "slow recovery" when you do mulitple sessions to tapes?

If you've got the disk to sustain the backup, that will help, but I've not yet
seen a disk solution that measures up to the tape speeds.

- Allen S. Rout