ADSM-L

Re: Backup options

2004-11-08 10:40:11
Subject: Re: Backup options
From: William Rosette <Bill_Rosette AT PAPAJOHNS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 10:39:02 -0500
Hello TSM guru's

I have a backup that is 224 GB database and is growing.  It is a cold
(brings down db) backup that lasts 4 hours due to collocation and running
straight to tape, we have a multitude of issues why we cannot run a hot
(keep db up) backup on this particular one.  Still giving us 56 GB an hour
not bad.  We run on a 3494 tape library hooked by SCSI straight to the AIX
SP frame where the TSM server is.  My problem is that as it grows it seems
to be creeping close to the kill backup window from 01:00 am to 05:10 (kill
backup time is 05:45).  I only have 300 GB of disk being used by the other
100+ backups,  700 GB's worth.  Here are the options I gave my superiors.

It is currently running at 55.945 GB per hour going to tape (1 tape drive
(collocate)), pretty good for tape drive speed.
Disk would make the backup run faster with multi-streams.
Cannot go to multi-tapes due to slow recovery.
Other option would be to break the backup into 2 separate backups running
simultaneously, probably nightmare admistrativewise.

I said I would ask y'all if I have any other options.

Please help, if anybody can.  I thank y'all in advance.

Thank You,
Bill Rosette
Data Center/IS/Papa Johns International
WWJD