ADSM-L

Re: exchange journaling

2004-11-03 19:16:09
Subject: Re: exchange journaling
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:15:48 -0600
<sigh>

Microsoft Exchange does not support individual mailboxes or messages; as
a result, since Tivoli supports and uses all third-party application
APIs, TSM doesn't either. The reason other backup applications can
perform "brick-level" restores is that they write their own APIs (or use
MS APIs like MAPI that were not built for backup and restore processes).

The result? When you apply a service pack or hot patch to Exchange, the
homebrew APIs used by CommVault and Netbackup often break, because there
is no way for them to anticipate what MS will do to Exchange in a given
patch. I have seen this happen time and again; ArcServe used to be very
bad about that. (I can't speak to how BrighStor behaves now.) Further,
if you use an application that performs brick-level restores, and your
Exchange information store or directory get corrupted as a result,
Micrsoft (since they don't support such reports) will tell you "Too bad,
so sad. Hope you have a good backup somewhere." (I've seen that happen
as well.)

There is a utility within Exchange called exmerge. Exmerge will take an
individual mailbox and create a separate .pst file out of it; this .pst
file can be backed up as a cold file, and it can be restored as a cold
file which Exchange can copy back into its information store.

TSM has a specialized server (called TSM for Data Retention) which will
help administrators comply with data retention schemes such as Sarbanse
Oaxley. However, when a business case is being created to justify such
retention schemes, it is usually discovered that most business don't
need to strictly comply with all aspects of S-O. Determining such a need
is a job for someone who *knows* what they're doing in this realm and
not just guessing (a phenomenon happening with alarming regularity).

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627