ADSM-L

Re: INCL/EXCL again - backup just some directories

2004-10-28 13:57:43
Subject: Re: INCL/EXCL again - backup just some directories
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:57:21 -0600
> Thanks for the reply, Andrew!

You're welcome!

> Since you asked, here is my problem background:

> To keep down the amount we backup during the night, we only want to
backup
> those three directories on our office servers during the business week.

Makes sense.

> On weekends, we want to 'catch up' and backup everything.

Also makes sense.

> Our remote offices are mostly connected with T1's, a few places have
several
> machines we backup and those have T3's.

> The only reason for possibly excluding the objects on the weekend
backups is
> to keep down redundancy of data being backed up.

Well, incremental backup is not redundant. If the files have not changed
since the last backup, then they won't be backed up again. I do not see
how this would necessarily impact network activity.

> Part of this is because our TSM server is a little to small (not enough
> disk, and they are not high performance disk either, but all that is
another
> story).

> Does this make sense?  Or am I blowing smoke and not seeing the big
picture?
> ... Thanks again ... JC

Sure. This is why I ask, so we can be sure we are seeing the big picture;
that is, we need to confirm we are asking the right questions. :-)   I'm
also advocating what I think is the simplest approach, though if you end
up having to use two nodes, that too could be done.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 10/28/2004
10:32:25: