ADSM-L

Re: AIX backup failures - InsertSlashHack! and "System ran out of memory" messages

2004-10-27 20:52:15
Subject: Re: AIX backup failures - InsertSlashHack! and "System ran out of memory" messages
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:51:59 -0400
>I'd assume your mail server has been up for some time.  Maybe there is
>process other than the TSM client that has a  memory leak and has consumed
>available memory/swap.  That's where I'd look next.

Good thought.

Something from experience:  In running a large POP/IMAP mail facility, we
find (no surprise) that many users configure their email clients by whim
rather than per defined instructions.  Some will set their client to
check for new mail every few seconds, making for a lot of artificial
system activity, packets, interrupts, etc.  Unreasonable access saps
network bandwidth, leaving less for serious activity, like backups.
This can easily imbalance one mail system relative to another.  Depending
upon your mail server repository techniques, spam can make mail spool files
inordinately busy, making for costly retries during backups; and the larger
the mail spool file, the greater that cost.  Mail systems are a huge pain
to run, with high costs relative to the often trite value of the stuff
being so diligently processed by the system.

   Richard Sims