ADSM-L

Re: AIX backup failures - InsertSlashHack! and "System ran out of memory" messages

2004-10-27 19:25:14
Subject: Re: AIX backup failures - InsertSlashHack! and "System ran out of memory" messages
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:23:10 +1000
Zoltan

I'd assume your mail server has been up for some time.  Maybe there is process
other than the TSM client that has a  memory leak and has consumed available
memory/swap.  That's where I'd look next.

Regards

Steve

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> zforray AT VCU DOT EDU 28/10/2004 4:11:08 >>>
Not in this situation.

This is a Cyrus email system using imap. *ALL* user mailboxes are in
/var/spool/imap and /../imap2 and so on.  These are permanent files.

The directory in the error message contains over 22K files.

"Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
10/27/2004 01:49 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU
>Tried this. Worked just fine. Backed up the whole directory,
>no issues, no failures, etc.

To be honest, the files you appeared to be choking on were from
/var/spool. This directory generally contains only files that are
discarded once they are spooled to whatever destination they're headed
for. If you continue to have problems, I'd be inclined to add

        exclude /var/spool/.../*

to my dsm.sys file.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in
error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return
email.  You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies produced.