ADSM-L

Re: rebinding and changing stgpool destination

2004-10-27 10:22:24
Subject: Re: rebinding and changing stgpool destination
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:22:12 -0400
You are correct, the files do not move from the old stgpool to the new.
Changing the mgmt class just changes the stgpool destination for NEW
backups.
You can move the old stuff to the new pool via MOVE NODEDATA if you
want.

The only weirdness I can think of is that rebinding occurs only when you
run a backup.  That means only files that still exist on the client
machine get rebound.  There is no way to rebind a file that was deleted
from the client system at some point in the past, i.e. all its copies
are currently inactive.

So if your new mgmt class has different retention rules, the active
files will be governed by the new rules after rebinding, and the others
will still be bound to the old rules.

THAT means that if you delete the old management class, the files bound
to it will be governed by the "grace period" rules, and you will in
addition probably get some funky messages during expiration.

None of which may be a problem for you...