ADSM-L

Re: Open file and image backups on Linux

2004-10-26 17:05:36
Subject: Re: Open file and image backups on Linux
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:04:13 -0400
The mail system resides on an AIX server. The storage is in a SAN !

For the OS, it is irrelevant since you would have to reinstall AIX, anyway
!.

However, we have seen lots of applications that store their files and data
as part of /etc, /usr, /home, etc.  We even have one "client" that decided
to link/share /usr/local among many systems.

Stef Coene <stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG>
10/26/2004 04:27 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 21:33, Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU wrote:
> I can't agree with the statement "Do a disaster recovery?  Then you
never
> need images, only incremental backups."
>
> That is EXACTLY why we need to do IMAGE backups.
I don't agree.  You need image backup for the disks with mails (I hope you

don't store them on the os disks) and incremental backups for the os
files.

> When our mail systems disk array died, it took >15 DAYS to restore
> >15MILLION individual files. The slowness was due to OS overhead trying
> restore/register that many files
Was this for the os of the client or the os of the TSM server?

> TSM was constantly idle/waiting.   Total
> storage was only 400GB. If we would have had an IMAGE backup to restore
> the affected filesystem and then did incremental restore from that
point,
> we feel the recovery would have been considerably shorter !
Ok, you are right, there is no single solution for the problem.

Stef

--
stef.coene AT docum DOT org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"