ADSM-L

AW: extend primary diskstorage pool on SSA-disks in TSM 5.1.8 [Virus checked]

2004-10-26 11:21:12
Subject: AW: extend primary diskstorage pool on SSA-disks in TSM 5.1.8 [Virus checked]
From: "Sternecker, Peter" <Peter.Sternecker AT RUV DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:20:58 +0200
Hi Frank,

simply: yes.

There is the possibility to use raw-volumes (logical volumes without
filesystems),
see the docs.

Some enhancements to your (my) procedure:
- use jfs2 (gives you some additional space)

- after defining the volume in TSM, the TSM server uses direct IO (dio).

- dsmfmt -data ... works on AIX-Command-Line, so

  BEFORE dsmfmt change the filesystem to use dio
  (chfs -a options=dio[,other_options] /Filesystem ; umount ; mount)
  (without dio the lrud -last recent use daemon, the
Filesystem-Cache-Administrator- runs 'amok',
   if you format more than ? GB/ ??? MB (depends on your Memory))

   I found out the above AFTER setting up two new TSM servers, formatting ca.
300GB
   log -, database- and diskpool volumes ;-(((

Best regards,

Peter Sternecker
R+V Allgemeine Versicherung AG
*  mailto:Peter.Sternecker AT ruv DOT de