ADSM-L

Re: TDP Oracle Restore

2004-10-22 06:55:25
Subject: Re: TDP Oracle Restore
From: Pawel Wozniczka <pwozniczka AT KGHM DOT PL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:37:29 +0200
>Yes please do send me the script and other procedures that you are using.

Hello

I've modified the script so that it could be used not only in my, but also
in other environments. It can be downloaded from:

http://skowron31.neostrada.pl/rman_scripts/change_rman_backup_status.sh
(in case of any download problems, let me know and I'll send it directly to
your email)

***Important facts to consider:***

- Backup your recovery catalog before using this script
- The script works quite good in my environment, but I can NOT guarantee
that it will also work perfectly everywhere.
- My environment:
        * ORACLE 8.1.7.4 target databases
        * ORACLE 8.1.7.4 recovery catalog database - separate catalog for
each target database
        * AIX 5.1 ML04
        * TSM 5.1.9
- Be extremely concentrated and focused when using this script, remember
that you are dealing with your company VITAL data!
- Should you have even a slightest doubt about using this script PLEASE ask
me first, I'll try to answer to your questions.

***How does this script work ?***

1. Connects to the target database and recovery catalog (according to the
supplied parameters)
2. Asks recovery catalog for the list of stored backups (according to the
supplied time range)
3. Parses the output from step 2, and generates rman command files (two
files: one for setting unavailable flag, second for setting back to
available state)
4. Generates shell executable scripts which have to be executed manualy to
perform the actual operation of setting unavailable or available flags.

Before actualy executing, check both *.cmd and *.sh files whether they are
correct !!!

If You execute it without parameters a short usage description will be
displayed, similar to the output below:

change_rman_backup_status.sh v 1.0 - beta
2004 Pawel Wozniczka (pwoz AT o2 DOT pl)

"This script generates RMAN command files which may be used to set
'unavailable' or 'available' flag to selected backup pieces
Only briefly tested with Oracle 8.1.7.4 on AIX 5.1.4 (both target database
and recovery catalog)

Please use extreme caution with this script !!!
Backup recovery catalog before using commands generated by this script!!!

Wrong parameter count !

USAGE: change_rman_backup_status.sh DBUSER DBPASS DBTNS RCATUSER RCATPASS
RCATTNS START_DATE END_DATE

Execute as oracle, not as root or other user

Required parameters:

DBUSER - target database username (sysdba privileges)
DBPASS - target database user password
DBTNS - target database TNSNAME (alias)
RCATUSER - recovery catalog username
RCATPASS - recovery catalog password
RCATTNS - recovery catalog TNSNAME (alias)
START_DATE - start date (RMAN format, for example '10-OCT-04')
END_DATE - start date (RMAN format, for example '15-OCT-04' or
'sysdate-1'...)

WARNING: exact date format may be different because of various environmental
settings !

Example:

change_rman_backup_status.sh sys secret PRDDB rman secret RCATDB '01-OCT-04'
'05-OCT-04'

Will create commands to set either unavailable or available flags to backup
pieces of the database PRDDB registered in recovery catalog database RCATDB
between 01 October 2004 and 04 October 2004"

As I said earlier I'm quite happy with the script.  But remember that it
doesn't take into consideration all possible configurations and may not
always work as expected, so use it at your own risk.

Feel free to ask in case of any doubts.

kind regards

Pawel Wozniczka