ADSM-L

TSM Server 5.2 Platform Migration: W2K -> zLinux Questions

2004-10-21 15:45:19
Subject: TSM Server 5.2 Platform Migration: W2K -> zLinux Questions
From: Dwight McCann <dwight AT TRIXIE.ISC.UCSB DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:45:02 -0700
I am currently running TSM 5.1.9.3 on W2K.  With Wanda and others help,
I expect to migrate to 5.2.x.x in the near future.  We recently upgraded
our mainframe to a z800 and as part of the package we got z/Linux with
SLES8.  We like the stability of the Linux and the mainframe and so we
are motivated to move the TSM server to this platform.

We are entitled to run two servers, so I have downloaded and installed
TSM 5.2.2 for Linux on the z800, done some trivial bits of configuration
and enabled the Web interface and now I have some wonderments.

1) Licenses: There is a termination date for the default licensing on
z/Linux 5.2.2 that does not seem to exist for the W2K server at
5.1.9.3.  Will there be a license termination date when I move to 5.2.x
on W2K?  Is there a license file that I need to acquire to properly
enable licensing in z/Linux 5.2.2?  When I try to register additional
licenses on z/Linux to match the W2K configuration, the registration
seems to run but the numbers don't change from the default.

2) My automated tape library is an Overland Neo4100 that is FC attached
to the X342 running W2K.  Anyone have experience running this library
from z/Linux?  Suggestions?

3) Assuming I can run the W2K and z/Linux TSM 5.2.2 (or higher) servers
in parallel, but have access to only one tape library, is there a best
way to migrate my clients and data from the W2K platform to the z/Linux
platform?

I guess this is more than enough for one email.

TIA,

--
Dwight McCann
Computer and Network Technologist, UCSB Info Systems & Computing