ADSM-L

Re: TSM Migration 5.1.9.3->5.2 on W2K: Licenses and Config Questions

2004-10-21 14:56:26
Subject: Re: TSM Migration 5.1.9.3->5.2 on W2K: Licenses and Config Questions
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:56:10 -0400
(See answers below questions).

I am positioning to migrate TSM Server 5.1.9.3 to 5.2.2 on a W2K box.  I
would feel more comfortable if I understood how a few things worked in
this migration process given that I have to uninstall the current
version.

1) Are there files that the uninstall does not remove that are used by
the next installed version to determine the configuration/location of
the existing data.

>>Yes.  Your devconfg, volhist, dsmserv.opt, dsmserv.dsk files will
remain, along with your data base and recovery log, etc.  We did 2
machines 5.1.6.2 to 5.2.2.2 with NO problems.  Just do it.  (But go to
at least 5.2.2.2 - see notes at end).

2) There have been a few notes about the database being "upgraded"
during this migration.  If something goes awry and I need to backlevel
5.1.9.3 will the db be corrupt?  Will I need to restore it in this case?

>>If the "upgrade" has happened, it presumably means there were fields
added/changed in the DB, so you now have a 5.2 DB.  If you uninstall
5.2.2 and reinstall 5.1.9.3, it wouldn't understand the changes and you
would have to restore the DB.

3) Will my licenses "migrate" forward automatically?

>>No.  You are required to reregister you licenses, so do a Q LICENSE
and list out what you have before you start the upgrade.

>>After the upgrade to 5.2.2.0, go ahead and put on the additional
patches before trying to register your licenses.  We just used the
"wizard" from the TSM management console to reregister the licenses.
Takes 3 minutes.

4) I have 120 nodes.  Can anyone venture the length of time for this
conversion?

>>Negligible.  We had 180 nodes, 30GB data base.  Took less than 10
minutes.  Will vary with the size of your DB and the speed of your disk.

GOTCHAS:

1)  You do NOT want to stop at 5.2.2.0, or 5.2.2.1 due to bugs. Go to at
least 5.2.2.2.  I don't know any reason not to just go straight to
5.2.3.

2) If your library happens to be an IBM 3494 w/ 359x drives, you MUST
CHANGE your tape driver when upgrading from 5.1 to 5.2.  In 5.2, you use
Magstart drivers in Windows rather than the TSM SCSI driver for the 3590
drives.

Other than those issues, we had no problems with the upgrade.  (At
5.2.2.2, we have 1 quite harmless bug:  Delete filespace doesn't report
how many objects it deletes, although it actually works fine.)

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)