ADSM-L

Re: Splitting apart a Tivoli DB

2004-10-18 03:25:46
Subject: Re: Splitting apart a Tivoli DB
From: Daniel Sparrman <Daniel.Sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:25:22 +0200
Hi

Well, we have that issue as well. We have large DB/2 and Oracle
database(+2TB) doing logbackups every ½ hour to the system.

The unload/load process isnt something you should run every two weeks.
Perhaps once a year or with two  years in etween would be a good idea. I
think you should have no problems having the system down once in two years
for the unload/load process.

Every time we need to have the system down for maintenance, we need to
request down-time three weeks in advance. The system is on a 24/7
production time and is monitored 24 hours a day by our operators.

This however doesnt stop us from having the system down for maintenance
every second year.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Chef Utveckling & Drift
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 TÄBY
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
2004-10-16 00:08
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Splitting apart a Tivoli DB

Still, this is a good reason why not to let your DB get that large.  Many
places can't have their TSM servers down for more then 8 hours.  We have
Oracle and SAP DB's that use TSM to archive their logs.  If we are down
for up to 8 hours they can survive but if we were down for 24 I'm sure
many of their log directories would fill and the DB would crash.

Daniel Sparrman <Daniel.Sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE> wrote:
Hi Ian

We've made a unload, audit and then a load on this 160GB database.

Didnt take days to complete. The full process took about 40 hours. If we
had choosen not to do the audit, the process would have taken about 28
hours.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------