ADSM-L

Re: Splitting apart a Tivoli DB

2004-10-14 20:33:38
Subject: Re: Splitting apart a Tivoli DB
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:33:29 -0700
I agree that 30GB is a size that doesn't really need to concern anyone.  Today
with tape drive speeds maybe a 100 GB isn't that big a deal either.  The main
point to consider is how long the DB takes to backup because this will be
roughly the amount of time it takes to restore in the case of a DR.  Five years
back I might have said 150 GB is far to large it may have take 5 hours to
restore at a DR site.  Of coures now days you could restore a 150 GB database
in 2 hours or less.

Don't forget though that even if the system can handle a DB that is over 150 GB
it is still wise to consider how long it will take to recover that database if
you need to.

Daniel Sparrman <Daniel.Sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE> wrote:
Hi

Dont know who told you about the need to break a 30GB database apart. For
what reason?

We have a 160GB database running smoothly. No need to break it apart as we
dont see any performance degradation. Only thing you'll need as your
database grows is hardware that will met up with the requirements of TSM.

Breaking apart your TSM server into smaller pieces will only mean you'll
need to manage, monitor and hardwareupgrade multiple instances of TSM
instead of just doing it with one instance. This will make the TSM system
aquire more time for daily operations from the TSM administrator(s) and
will also make future upgrades more expensive as you will need to
upgradeHW on each TSM server individually.

My vote goes for consolidation, not deconsolidation. Havent seen any
problems this far that can be solved either through looking over the TSM
server configuration and making adjustments or by upgrading existing
hardware.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Chef Utveckling & Drift
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervdgen 6B
183 62 TDBY
Vdxel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

Chris Hund
Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
2004-10-14 17:43
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Splitting apart a Tivoli DB

Good morning fellow admins,

Has anyone ever had to break apart a Tivoli DB into smaller DB's? Possibly
spreading those DB's out across different volume groups on different
nodes? I'm told this is possible. I was also told that as your TSM DB
approaches 30GB, you might want to think about breaking it apart.

I'm looking for some instructions on how to do this (assuming it's
possible). Any thoughts of suggestions would be great appreciated.

Thank you,
Chris Hund
UNIX/TSM Admin
Firserv Health