ADSM-L

Re: Domino TDP backups to LTO2

2004-10-13 09:45:31
Subject: Re: Domino TDP backups to LTO2
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:45:23 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU
>We are trying to do this since in the future, our Domino
>systems will expand to address 40,000+ ID's and 3-6TB of
>storage that will need to be backed up (no clue how much on a
>daily basis but weekly will be big due to the "reorgs").
>
>My first experiment seems to indicate that this is a bad idea
>due to the TDP process open/closing the tape for every Domino
>"mail box" it backs up........

Here's an idea:

Set your Domino management class to send data to a disk pool. However,
also set the maxfilesize parameter on the disk storage pool to send
files greater than a given size to the tape storage pool defined as the
nextstgpool for the disk pool. You can then enjoy the advantages of
sending small files to disk and the large files directly to tape--and
your log files will migrate to the same tape pool as your data files,
keeping all your Domino data on the same set of tapes.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627