ADSM-L

Re: inc mmc question

2004-10-13 01:40:41
Subject: Re: inc mmc question
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:34:11 -0500
CORP Rick Willmore wrote:

I have many windows 2000 clients that I wish to backup using an incremental
backup and specifying a MMC that is different than one specified in my dsm.opt
using the inclu/exclu options.  The idea is to have incrementals that are run
daily and a seperate set of incrementals that are run monthly (different
storage pool).  Anyone have any suggestions?  I am trying to avoid using an
archive due to database size and the fact that the monthly incrementals are
going to a tape pool that will remain in my library.

R.

Rick,

Have you considered doing image backups for your monthly backups?  There
are some limitations to this that you will need to look into, but having
a regularly scheduled image backup (which can use a different management
class, i.e. different retention values) has several benefits.  Rather
than go into all the ins and outs of image backups in this note I
suggest you take a look the admin guides and see if this might work for
you.  However, I will mention one plus to doing regular image backups,
when you have to do a full filespace restore it is much faster doing a
"image plus incrementals" restore rather than the conventional restore!

As an example, I am currently working with a customer that is setting up
an environment where they do regular incrementals 6 days a week using a
a MC that keeps 7 versions (most of the critical files change daily).
On the 7th day we take an image backup and that is set to keep 14
versions.  Therefore, we have a PIT restore to any day in the last week
with a daily resolution and PIT restore for anytime during the last 3
months with a weekly resolution.  For longer term we are also doing
quarterly archives that are kept for 3 years as well as a year end
archive that is kept forever.  This may not fit your needs exactly, but
you can see how flexible TSM is.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE