ADSM-L

Re: Hierarchical Storage Management

2004-10-08 08:10:03
Subject: Re: Hierarchical Storage Management
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 08:12:33 -0400
On Oct 8, 2004, at 7:38 AM, Daniel Stanizzo wrote:

Hi List,

Someone is using Hierarchical Storage Management
(http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/hsmcomp/)

What can you tell me about this product? It's really an "upgrade" to
BRMS?

Regards, Daniel Stanizzo.

We've been looking for that person...    ;-)
HSM has been part of the ADSM/TSM product for many years, now.
It used to be called HSM: it's latest name is TSM for Space Management.
See  http://www.ibm.com/software/tivoli/products/storage-mgr-space/
for the actual TSM product info, rather than the cited web page.
It works via a kernel extension, to intercept accesses to the
controlled file system.  See the List archives for past observations
on the product.  I also have some notes on it in ADSM QuickFacts.

   Richard Sims         http://people.bu.edu/rbs