ADSM-L

disk pool sizing (again)?

2004-10-04 11:54:31
Subject: disk pool sizing (again)?
From: Mike <mikee AT MIKEE.ATH DOT CX>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:56:45 -0500
Currently my TSM box backs up about 160-180GB each night. Recently I
purchased enough disk so the entire night's backup can go to disk,
migrate to the tape library (four tape drives). When the disk was
allocated to disk pools it was divided into multiple sections for
the different categories/policies (exchange, database, other, etc.).
There is a simple job running with some frequency to capture the
amount of these disk resources that are currently in use. The disk
resources do not seem to be used consistently or fully.

My question is should I destroy all the individual devices and lump
the devices into one large pool so that the entire night's backup
is written as quickly as possible (then migrated), or should
things stay the same?

Since TSM manages the files written to disk within these disk
devices, then I feel TSM should have the whole shoe box to slice
and dice as it it sees fit, but I don't know....

Mike