ADSM-L

Re: mtlib and TSM inventory

2004-10-01 09:16:47
Subject: Re: mtlib and TSM inventory
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:17:54 -0500

hope this helps...

also use "mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -qV -V 002491" to see what the state of the
volume is...
Volume Data:
   volume state.........00
   logical volume.......No
   volume class.........3592 1/2 inch cartridge tape
   volume type..........3592 JA Cartridge
   volser...............BP0000
   category.............0064
   subsystem affinity...01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08
                        09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F 10
                        11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
                        19 1A 1B 1C 1D 1E 1F 20

                               VOLUME STATES

#'s returned when you do a
"mtlib -l <blah> -qI"
and you get
VOLSER CATEGORY ATTRIBUTE CLASS TYPE
AAA006   0190      00       10   00

ATTRIBUTE is VOLUME STATE
volume state   (80) Volume present in Library, but Inaccessible
volume state   (08) Volume is Misplaced
volume state   (88) Volume present in Library, but Inaccessible
                    Volume is Misplaced
volume state   (01) Volume was Manually Ejected
                    (means that the door was opened, the tape removed,
                     and an inventory performed which discovered
                     the volume missing.
volume state   (40) Volume Mounted or Queued for mounting
volume state   (00) is normal...

FF00 insert
FF10 eject
FF11 bulk eject
FFF4 IBM 3592 cleaner volume
FFF9 service volume
FFFA manual eject
FFFB purge volume
FFFD IBM 3590 cleaner volume
FFFE cleaner volume

Dwight E. Cook
Systems Management Integration Professional, Advanced
Integrated Storage Management
TSM Administration
(918) 925-8045

             Richard Sims
             <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            To
             Dist Stor                 ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Manager"                                                   cc
             <[email protected]
             .EDU>                                                 Subject
                                       Re: mtlib and TSM inventory

             10/01/2004 06:58
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"

On Oct 1, 2004, at 4:53 AM, Hashim, Shukrie BSP-ISM/116 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My TSM inventory shows the following for volume 002491 which is not in
> the library:-
>
>                    Volume Name: 002491
>              Storage Pool Name: DRMCOPY
>              Device Class Name: 3494DEV
>        Estimated Capacity (MB): 0.0
>                       Pct Util: 0.0
>                  Volume Status: Empty
>                         Access: Unavailable
>         Pct. Reclaimable Space: 0.0
>                Scratch Volume?: No
>                In Error State?: No
>       Number of Writable Sides: 1
>        Number of Times Mounted: 0
>              Write Pass Number: 0
>      Approx. Date Last Written:
>         Approx. Date Last Read:
>            Date Became Pending:
>         Number of Write Errors: 0
>          Number of Read Errors: 0
>                Volume Location:
> Last Update by (administrator): XXXXX
>          Last Update Date/Time: 06/03/04 15:09:54
>
> However, mtlib show the following:-
>
> mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -f /dev/rmt3 -qD
> Device Data:
>    mounted volser.............002491
>    mounted category...........0000
>    device category............012E
>    device state...............Device installed in Library.
>                               Device available to Library.
>                               ACL is installed.
>                               Auto Fill is enabled.
>    device class...............3590-E1A
>    extended device status.....00
>
> I have physically checked the library and there is nothing in the
> drive, it is empty.
>
> If TSM knows the volume is not in the library, but the library thinks
> it is loaded, how
> do I get them back in sync?

"Unavailable" does not mean that the volume is not in the library:
it means only that the volume is defined as unavailable for TSM
use. You should always check your Activity Log for perspective on
the event in which the tape was last used, to help determine what
happened to it.  Perform an mtlib query on the tape volume itself
and see what the library thinks about it.  Check your other drives
to make sure that the tape is not in one of them - which is to say
that it's possible that, over time, drive assignments *could* be
other than you think they are.  If the drive is in the right
position, then it may be defective.  A power cycling may at least
temporarily correct the drive's view of reality, but keep an eye
on that one.

   Richard Sims

GIF image

GIF image