ADSM-L

Re: direct attached disk (DAS) at a tape library?

2004-09-29 09:19:57
Subject: Re: direct attached disk (DAS) at a tape library?
From: Curtis Stewart <Curtis.Stewart AT LAWSON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:21:47 -0500
Because there's software in the VTL that emulates tape drives. To TSM it's
just another tape library.

Curtis

curtis.stewart AT lawson DOT com

"Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
09/28/2004 10:43 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject

Johnson, Milton wrote:

> I am not quite sure what you meant by "with TSM you can use disk only
>for backups instead of onsite tape".  I do not see any reason why you
>can not use FILE device types for both primary and copypool stg pools.
>Of course if you actually want to move a copy of the data offsite, then
>you would need some type of removable media such as tape.
>
>For me two of the attractions of a virtual tape library are being able
>to do lanfree backups without using Sanergy, and having the VTL do
>compression.
>

>H. Milton Johnson

Hi Milton,

I am not sure how you get to do Lan-Free without using Sanergy.  In
order to do that wouldn't the VTL have to have some kind of similar code
as Sanergy and then the question is does that play nicely with TSM.  Or
am I missing something really obvious here?  Please explain how you will
get Lan-Free to work in a TSM environment without the Sanergy code.

Thank You.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE