ADSM-L

Transitioning Restore Responsibilities to Helpdesk

2004-09-28 16:58:58
Subject: Transitioning Restore Responsibilities to Helpdesk
From: "Young, Jack" <jack.young AT USAA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:45:50 -0500
We are looking into transitioning the restore responsibilities to our
Corporate Helpdesk.  The 5 TSM Administrators currently handle the
restore request for 1000 NT clients.  We have security concerns with
allowing someone else to do the restores.  We are setting up the Web
Client services to allow the Helpdesk personnel access to the backup
data.  The TSM server log and the webclient.log doesn't give enough
information to help us audit what the Helpdesk is restoring.  We are
concerned that they can restore confidential data to alternate
locations, giving them access to the data.  It would be nice if they
didn't have the option through the Web Client to select an alternate
location.  What can we put in place that would allow us to keep the data
secured?  Has anyone run into the same scenario?

Thanks for any advice.

Jack G. Young
Open Systems Storage Management (OSSM)
USAA - Information Technology
jack.young AT usaa DOT com     (210) 456-4030
The opinions herein are solely the author's and are not necessarily the
opinion of USAA.