ADSM-L

Re: please help -- DRM -- 3582 Library with 2 drives -- Needassistance

2004-09-27 19:02:07
Subject: Re: please help -- DRM -- 3582 Library with 2 drives -- Needassistance
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:03:02 +1000
Sandra.

You sound like you are usd to an old-style product like arcserve or backup-exec.
TSM tapes don't work that way.
TSM backs up far less data that traditional backup products, and its tapes
don't come back on site until they are empty, which, especially for tapes
created in the early part of an implementation, may well be years.

Make sure you are running regular expire inventory.
Make sure that your copypools have a reasonable reclaim percentage set (I use
80%, others use as low as 50%)
Buy more tapes.  You will need them and they are not all that expensive.
Skimping on tapes and tape library slots is a false economy.

Oh, and I hope that you have at least two tape drives.  Its very hard to use
tsm without two drives as a minimum.

Regards

Steve.

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> sadi AT SUPER.NET DOT PK 28/09/2004 3:55:58 >>>
Thanks R. i have this guide with me but i don't know i m lost somewhere.

Like the questions are:
1- "how I can automate checkouts of copy storage pool tapes"

2- "when i bring back the tapes to onsite, and checkin into library would it
reuse it for backup of
primary stg. pool on these tapes or it would go for scratch volumes?"

3- "if i keep reuse delay of 3 then should i b able to use the tapes sent to
offsite as scratch volumes
or what?"

Sandra

CORP Rick Willmore wrote:

> http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246844.pdf
>
> I also found a lot of the necessary details for DRM in the Administrator's
> guide.
> http://sp81.msi.umn.edu:999/sys_manuals/tsm/aix/guide/a72agd02.htm
>
> If you want I can email the guide to you offlist.  I just popped this guide
> link up really quickly.
>
> R.

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in
error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return
email.  You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies produced.