ADSM-L

Re: D2D on AIX

2004-09-21 14:28:39
Subject: Re: D2D on AIX
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:29:51 -0400
==> In article <200409211619.i8LGJsbf018132 AT vtcat.cc.vt DOT edu>, Eliza Lau
<lau AT VTCAT.CC.VT DOT EDU> writes:

> What is the recommended volume size.  I have seen someone mentioned 5G, but
> then the number of volumes will explode from about 800 (current # of 3590
> primary tapes) to thousands.

Consider, this doesn't really cost you much.  Seek time in a directory of
thousands of files is still tiny compared to tape behavior.

I probably wouldn't go as low as 5G, but 10G (much less than the average size
of my 3590 vols) seems pretty reasonable to me.  20G is getting big, from my
perspective.

> How about keeping the staging space so clients backup to staging then
> migrate to FILE volumes.  Then every volume will be filled up.

I like this, too.

- Allen S. Rout